Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pralus Republique Dominicaine

I was so excited to see a new Pralus varietal available on chocosphere.com (where I buy most of my chocolate.) While they are some of the most expensive bars around, usually around $10 a piece, each one is very distinct. Almost every bar from Pralus contains 75% cocoa but not one exhibits a strong bitter flavor most associate with high cocoa content.

While I personally feel Pralus makes some of the best chocolate in the world there are some who feel differently. A local chocolate does not carry any Pralus due to the chocolatier's inconsistency. I didn't fully appreciate their complaint until I tasted this bar.

Pralus Republique Dominicaine had a very light color, almost like milk chocolate. The bar broke without a sharp snap and I began to fear the worst. The bar smelled of caramel with a complexity that gave me hope the flavor of the bar would compensate for the lack of firmness.

Once I bit into the bar the weak texture was immediately evident. The bar did not snap, it crumbled. The soft, grainy texture was about as bad as I have ever encountered. While the texture was sad, the flavor was a thing of beauty. A gentle sourness guided me through movements of flavor. Beginning woody, the bar had hints of liquorice and end of mouth that reminded me of chinese plum sauce.

While the room temperature texture was poor, the bar melted like a dream.

I like this chocolate coming out France. If the bar were firmer it would be spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment