Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Droste 75%

Hello, my name is Jake, and I am a chocoholic. If there is a 12 step program out there.....I don't want it! I was at a drug store and bought all the crappy chocolate I could find. Every now and then you need a reminder of how mass manufactured chocolate tastes. The first of my "remember what you used to like" picks comes from Holland. Ever heard of Dutch processed cocoa? That means they are chocolate masters.....right?

WRONG!

This chocolate comes in "Pastilles," or little, round hockey pucks of brown stuff. The chocolate has an extremely dark color and an almost gray shade. When sniffed....the bar smells like candy. That candy smell displays itself immediately in the mouth. Before the chocolate begins to melt you can taste only taste the vanillin (artificial flavor...much cheaper than real vanilla.)

Once the chocolate melts things get worse. The flavor is flat, showing no sign of tartness or life in general. Bitter, burnt, and scary like a snufalupagus on crack (I just made that up) are three ways to describe this chocolate. This is why people don't like dark chocolate. This is why people think 75% cocoa content is too much. Low quality beans roasted to the point of death. Maybe the gray hue was actually ash?

If you work for Droste and wish to call me to complain about this review....don't.....just make better chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment