Monday, March 9, 2009

Valrhona - Chuao 2002

My expectations were high as I opened up what might be my last Valrhona Chuao bar ever. I have tasted the bar on many different occasions and usually include it in a dark chocolate tasting because of its unique flavor profile.

Chuao cocoa beans come from a small village in Venezuela only accessible by river (or sea if you believe the back of the old Valrhona box.) I am tasting a bar from 2002 because the entire cocoa supply from Chuao has been cornered by Amedei, the Italian chocolate maker born from Valrhona's snootiness. The story goes that the founders of Amedei were originally in the baking supply business in Italy when they approached Valrhona. They wanted to bring the beauty of Valrhona chocolate into Italy for the first time....but were turned away having been told that Italians would not appreciate such fine chocolate. So the Italians returned home, set up a chocolate manufacturing facility, and out bid Valrhona for one of the most unique chocolates in the world, Chuao.

So this may be my last Valrhona Chuao bar ever, and I was disapointed. The spicy glory that made this bar one of the most unique I had ever tasted was gone. I am guessing that age is finally taking its toll on this bar. Though the bar was still in perfect temper and showed a shiny lustor, the intricacies were gone. A slight hint of orange cream was all that appeared for a moment only to fade quickly into general chocolate malase.

I used the word "malase" and so must end this post immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment